TIPS ON NOT MAKING YOUR EDITOR THINK YOU ARE A LITTLE TOO WEIRD — Carrie Jones Books
There are certain things in the editor/author relationship that you just are not supposed to do.
I have consistently screwed that up.
Fortunately, I have a very, very tolerant editor.
I am only telling you so that you don’t do this too. And I’m putting it in tips form because it’s easier for me to deal with the nasty truth of it, that way …
TIPS ON NOT MAKING YOUR EDITOR THINK YOU ARE A LITTLE TOO WEIRD
- Do not answer the phone while you are in the shower. No. Really. Even if you think it’s your little girl calling from school to say she forgot her lunch. Even if you think it’s a neighbor calling because they found your dog humping their light-up reindeer in their front yard. Do not answer the phone.
- Remember the person on the other end may be your editor.
- Remember you do not want your editor to realize that you are naked. Because the truth is, people take showers naked. You do NOT want people imagining you naked.
4. If, for some irrational, inane reason you do answer the phone, do not, DO NOT, bring the phone in the shower with you.
5. Do not do this even if you still have conditioner in your hair.
6. Do not do this even if you have to be somewhere in 20 minutes.
7. Just don’t do this. The shower makes a lot of noise, and it’s probably dangerous to have the cordless phone in the shower with you, like you could electrocute yourself or something.
8. If you do, do this, which you shouldn’t, please make sure to rinse the conditioner out of both sides of your hair, keep your head tilted and the phone OUT OF THE RUNNING WATER.
9. Remember it is hard to have an intelligent conversation with your editor while getting conditioner out of your hair and worrying about being late and worrying about being electrocuted and worrying about whether he knows you are in the shower or not.
10. Shut off the water. Ignore your editor when he says, “Oh. I can suddenly hear you better.”
11. Act all innocent. Say, “Really?”
12. Dry off. Comb hair. Be thankful Mr. Editor Guy does not have a camera phone.
14. Spend the entire day with crunchy hair, because you forgot to rinse the conditioner off the top of your hair, just the sides.
15. Realize that crunchy hair is not worth it and VOW never to answer the phone while in the shower again.
16. Forget the vow the next day and try to say in a nice non-panicked voice when you answer the phone and the warm water is streaming down, “Oh. Hi, Mr. Nice Editor Guy. It’s you.”
DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN PEOPLE
The PODCAST FOR WRITERS AND PEOPLE who don’t mind other people who are weird yet helpful and funny
This week’s DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN PEOPLE episode is here and it’s all about how to tell a good story (aloud or on paper).
WHERE TO FIND US
Originally published at https://carriejonesbooks.blog on January 22, 2020.